Paisley Sweetheart

Wednesday, November 14, 2018

"Family"


I called my grandmother on Thursday night, it had been less than a stellar week and somehow talking to her always can cheer me up. She tells me about the weather, how she can’t go anywhere because her bowels aren’t what they use to be, and how she’s old, but really in good shape even if she can’t see or hear. Many times, I hear the same story over and over again, but you know what I love it. I don’t even have to talk, but she can make me smile. I get to spend and entire week with her at Christmas and I cannot wait!! There just something about that 91-year-old woman. I love my biological family and I know at any moment I could call and they would be there for me. But they are 5 states away, she is 5 states away

The fact is ministry can be a lonely place for many reasons. Most people don’t see this or understand and that’s not what this post is about, but it can be a lonely place. If you’re single it can be even more lonely. Family is far away and if you’ve recently moved close friends are as well. So, when you had a rough week finding someone to just love you, be angry with you, or just spend the day with you can be a little more difficult.

I have truly been blessed though. I have lived in three places since surrendering to ministry and I have been blessed with “family” in all these places and people to do all thee above. I spent Saturday shopping with a dear couple, who knew I didn’t want to sit at home.  Sundays I get to have a homemade family lunch that is AMAZING. I have best friends that no matter what, they’re willing to have my back at a moment’s notice, have an emergency girl’s night, but also call me on my junk. The week of thanksgiving I am beyond excited to be getting to go to South Louisiana. These folks saw me struggle through seminary and were so patient with me while I figured out how to be a children’s minister. They are willing to drive an hour one way to pick me up from the airport, take me back and loan me a car for the week.  I affectionately refer to these folks as my south Louisiana family. And even if they did none of this, I would love them none the less. I get to see my Mississippi at Christmas and catch up with them.

I am not going to lie, sometimes I lose site of those that love and care about me that aren’t necessarily standard family. I lose site, that is, until my car is broken down and a friend loans one, my best friend is ready to cut someone who hurt me, and they allow me to crash a thanksgiving dinner. I am reminded that I am cared and loved by many. This year has been one for the books, but I am beyond thankful for people who God has placed in my life. So, thank you so all those who have become “family,” I am not sure what life would be like without you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment